It's been a few months since I did one of these posts about stuff I think is cool... but I'm trying to get back on blog track! You may or may not know, but every year Pantone (THE color people of all color people) select a color of the year... this year they picked Honeysuckle, which is a very pinky pink.
So I thought it would be fun to find some cool stuff in this color.
I’m very excited to actually have pictures of stuff I’ve been working on! I tried to give each of my nieces and nephews something handmade for Christmas – I gave 4 out of the 6 something I made myself, so not too bad!
I made my 9 year old niece a pair of the Oma House Slippers. I had worn a pair on Thanksgiving and she really loved them.
Happy New Year! I hope that this new year is bringing me new energy and that I left my nausea back in 2010... I've been feeling pretty good the last couple of days, but I'm almost afraid to declare myself back to "normal." Don't want to jinx it! However, my house is cleaner than it has been in months... so yay!
Last January I started my blog with a post about ten things I wanted to get done in 2010... I did about half of the things I wanted to last year. In keeping with tradition, here are eleven things I want to try in 2011 (keep in mind this is all in addition to having a new baby join us in July... so we'll see how this goes)!
1. Finish all my unfinished projects. I started my great de-stash in October... and then got sidetracked by my pregnancy... but I'd really like to clear out some space in our tiny office/sewing room. Which brings me to number 2:
2. Organize/decorate/completely overhaul the office. The walls are forest green, not a bad color per se, just not my cup of tea. I would love to brighten up this space and add some much needed storage so that this room really works for us, instead of just being a dumping ground for all our "stuff."
3. Improve my photography. I got a fancy new camera last month, and I barely know how to use it. I got it so I could take beautiful pictures of my growing family and be able to better capture all the projects I highlight on here... but I have some learning to do!
4. Entertain friends for dinner twice a month (on average). We actually started doing it a few months ago and it is going pretty well. I'm sure you are familiar with the blog, Reluctant Entertainer... I'm a big fan! She has totally changed my perspective on hosting people in my home. It can be such a ministry/gift to others, and it builds great relationships that are important to families and communities. I even managed to hit this goal in the craziness of December, so we are already on a roll!
5. Make a quilt (x2). I fell in love with this heirloom baby quilt from Aesthetic Nest. I want to make one for Baby #2 (as soon as we know what we are having), but I also want Grady to have one. I've already ordered his fabric and I can't wait to start.
6. Give all handmade gifts this year. This is sort of a repeat from last year. It sounds daunting but I think I can do it! It will require lots of thinking and planning ahead. I'll be put to the test this month with a couple of family birthdays.
7. Craft more for myself. It's hard to quantify this one, but I would just like to make myself some fun things since I focus so much on the kid set so often.
8. Felt something. Felting is a technique I've never tried, but since I am now an avid crocheter (um, can you felt crochet... it doesn't have to be knit does it?), I would love to give it a shot.
9. Attempt some jewelry making, especially metal stamping. I love the stamped metal trend and I think I could do it myself!
10. Re-do the dining room. Seems like I have a lot of home decor on this list, but the dining room is easy. I just want to add a few things to make it more functional, especially a bigger dining room table!
11. Finish landscaping our yards. We inherited some pretty wild yards... tons and tons of plants that we can't keep up with. This summer I want to simplify the landscape to some grass and a few well-chosen plants in the flower beds.
Here's to hoping I've got a project to share later this week! Happy New Year!